Americans for C.L.A.S.S. is a nationwide grassroots organization dedicated to the nationwide implementation of our “8 Point Plan For School Safety”.
The specifics and implementation of the plan will be based on recommendations by security professionals after inspecting the individual needs of the schools such as number of students, age of the students and the physical location of the school.
Eight Point Plan
- Secure the perimeter – Construct a fully secure and monitored perimeter around every school. Include the installation of strategically placed cameras to provide both a deterrent and effective monitoring of the school.
- Control the flow – Establish monitored single or limited points of entry that include metal detectors, with multiple egresses from every school.
- Protect the interior – Place armed guards within every school through the use of School Resource Officers (SROs), a guardian program which empowers schools to arm highly trained staff or school safety specialists that gives priority hiring to retired veterans and law enforcement officers.
- Develop the School Safety Volunteer Network – Enact a volunteer program, similar to volunteer crossing guards, in which parents are mobilized and tasked by the school to provide school safety assistance. Parents will be given identifying materials, such as a vest, and empowered to monitor the perimeter or hallways during class time.
- Increase parental communication – Streamline and enhance communications with parents during a school safety incident that results in a lockdown or evacuation of the school campus.
- Appoint a District School Safety Specialist – Every school district should designate a district school safety specialist to serve as the school district’s primary point of public contact for public school safety functions.
- Increase Mental Health Services – Provide the training and resources necessary for schools to provide proper mental health services for their students.
- Establish a School Safety Hotline – Develop a system which can receive anonymous calls, texts or emails from students about potential threats within a school. This system should be monitored and immediately addressed by the local school district.
On March 9, 2018 Governor Rick Scott signed a bill enhancing school safety just 3 weeks after the MSD shooting.
Key components of the bill include: increasing and expanding mental health services across the country, increase spending for school security (such as metal detectors, steel doors, etc), as well as employing a SRO (1 for every 1000 students) in every public school. These are just a few of the many ways we believe that we can make schools safer for children across America.
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act can be read in its entirety by clicking the link below.
You walk into an airport, you see security. You walk into a courthouse, you see security. You walk into a stadium, you see security.
Yet, when you walk into most schools, there is nothing protecting our most precious natural resources – our children.
And that is something we are going to change through Americans for C.L.A.S.S.
Contact Your Elected Officials
From the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington D.C. to the School Board in Broward County, Florida, we need our elected leaders on board with keeping our kids safe by implementing important school safety policies.
Through Americans for C.L.A.S.S. we will inform and advocate for our “8 Point Plan for School Safety” in each of the 50 states, but we cannot do it without YOUR help!.